EnglishArabicChinese (Simplified)DutchFrenchGermanHindiItalianJapanesePolishPortugueseRussianSpanishHebrewUkrainianHungarianArmenianBengaliPunjabi

Boy at feteSafety first!

If you’re organising a fundraising event to support ERIC, we want you to have fun, but we also want you and your guests to stay safe.

ERIC cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury as a result of fundraising for us.

Here are our tips for keeping your event safe:

  • Get permission: If your event is taking place on private property, you’ll need permission from the owner. If it’s in a public area, you should talk to your local authority.

  • Check insurance cover: If using a venue or service such as a bouncy castle, check the provider has adequate Public Liability Insurance which covers you. If fundraising at home, you could ask your home insurers if you’re covered to hold the event. Contact an insurance broker for some impartial advice.

  • Carry out a risk assessment: Check your venue for health and safety hazards. You'll need to identify any risks, consider who might be harmed and how, and decide on the precautions you should take. Always record your findings in a written risk assessment; keep your assessment under review and up-to-date. If you’re organising a big event, you'll need to confirm that first aid supplies, firefighting equipment and emergency evacuation procedures are in place. Consider informing your local emergency services (fire, police and ambulance) about the event.

  • Consider First Aid provision: Assess whether your event needs the presence of the British Red Cross or St John’s Ambulance.

  • Serve food and drinks safely: If serving refreshments, make sure they're prepared and provided in a safe way. Always ensure any food you’re serving has been stored at an appropriate temperature, hygienically prepared and thoroughly cooked. Check the Food Standards Agency for further guidance. You can also contact your local council for advice. If you want to sell alcohol at your event, you’ll need a licence (see below). If the venue already has a licence, then you’ll be covered, but do check.

  • Safeguard children: Please take extra time to plan fundraising activities involving children. Any fundraisers under the age of 18 should have their parent or guardian’s permission to take part. Make sure children are properly supervised and that you’ve made provisions for lost children at events. Refer to the Institute of Fundraising's guidance on fundraising with children.

Stay legal!

You might need licences for the following activities:

Check the rules and regulations by clicking on the links provided.

Collecting money

Please bear in mind the following:

  • You must get permission to collect money in a public place.
  • You need a licence from the local authority to collect money on the street and door to door, and you need to adhere to their rules.
  • You need to get permission to collect money on private property, such as a shopping centre.

Running a raffle

Raffles are where someone pays cash to take part to win a prize, the prizes are allocated and the allocation of prizes is completely random.

Raffles are a great, fun way to raise money. However, as raffles fall under strict laws relating to all lotteries, there are some cases where a licence from your local council may be required.

Here are some things to consider:

1. Do you need a licence?

Raffles can either be run as part of a fundraising event, or as a dedicated fundraiser outside of an event.

Small lotteries can be held without a licence if:

  • the lottery is being held as part of a main event/entertainment such as a gala dinner or concert
  • the proceeds of the lottery are being used for charitable purposes (along with the proceeds of the main event/entertainment)
  • the tickets are only sold on the premises during the course of the event/entertainment
  • the winner is announced during the course of the event
  • no money/cash prizes are awarded
  • no tickets are sold to anyone under 16
  • no tickets are sold in a public street.

These raffles don’t need specially printed tickets or a licence as long as each ticket carries an equal chance of winning. Books of standard raffle tickets can be bought in stationery shops.

If you’re organising a stand-alone raffle, you will need a licence. A small society lottery licence costs £40 for the first year, and £20 for each further year.

To make sure your raffle is legal and as successful as possible, please read the Gambling Commission's information and guidelines

2. Source your prizes

Asking for donated prizes, for example from local businesses and companies, is a great way to maximise the amount of money you raise from your raffle. When sourcing these, think about who will be buying your raffle tickets and the kind of prizes that will attract them. Often, the more unusual the prize, the better.

If you need proof that you're organising a raffle in aid of ERIC, please email our Fundraising Officer Anna Henry at [email protected] and we'll be happy to email you evidence.