Written by Dr Thomas R. DuHamel.
If your child is mildly constipated, this book will help you prevent it from becoming more severe. If your child is more severely constipated (i.e. they have functional constipation or encopresis), follow Dr. Tom's proven six-step treatment program.
Using clear instructions, simple visual aids, and featuring stories from real parents, 'The Ins and Outs of Poop' will teach you:
- What causes constipation and stool withholding
- The signs and symptoms of occasional and functional constipation
- How to prevent constipation using natural remedies
- How pain and fear lead to stool withholding
- How withholding causes soiling or poo accidents
- When it is necessary to introduce laxatives
- How to successfully withdraw laxatives
- Why patience is critical
- Strategies for building your child's self-esteem and confidence
- Dr. Tom's six-step program for treating functional constipation and encopresis
Visit Dr Tom's website for further information and reviews of the book.
This book was written and published in the USA. It is recommended that UK readers refer to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Guideline on Constipation in Children and Young People for information on the diagnosis and management of idiopathic constipation, as there are some differences in how it is diagnosed and treated in the USA and UK.
Dr Thomas R DuHamel is also the author of 'Softy the Poop', a book to help families talk about poo. Also available in the ERIC shop.